Monday, September 28, 2009

One Word You Can't Say On Television


Way to start the season with a bang, Saturday Night Live! Or more appropriately, a bomb. That's right, the comedy show that performs skits live on the NBC Channel, let the f-bomb slip during a sketch called "Biker Chick Chat". Newcomer Jenny Slate, who was playing one of the Biker Chicks (along with hostess Megan Fox and Kristen Wiig), let the expletive escape her lips in, ironically, a skit that was based on NOT saying the f-word.

Immediately after letting the word tumble out of her mouth, Jenny Slate puffed out her cheeks, perhaps realizing her mistake...and the show went on with hardly a pause and no humongous "OOOOOOO!" from the audience. (But if you watch the clip, there seems to be a slight awkward pause and brief gasp, though).

Afterward, Slate expressed worries over being fired, but it doesn't look as though she will be. She will probably just have a fine slapped on her from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for using the expletive. NBC declined to comment on the incident, other than to say the word had been restored to the intended "freakin'" for the show's replays in western time zones.

I really think that Slate handled herself well. She finished the skit and didn't let her, ahem, muck-up stop her from performing. That being said, I am not a particular fan of SNL. I really think the show has gone downhill, especially in the last decade. I don't really watch it unless I hear about a particular skit, but when I do watch it, it rarely makes me laugh. The jokes are just not funny. I mean, the most memorable thing about last week's episode was not a particular skit or Megan Fox's bland performance. The most memorable thing about last Saturday's show was someone saying the f-word, which any loose-lipped person can do.

First of all, I want to say that comedy is an art. It is difficult to do. Not every joke will be funny to every person. But I hate to see comics and just everyday people saying expletive after expletive when they talk (cough...Dane Cook). To me personally, it is the easy way out; an easy way to get a laugh just from the pure shock value. The joke might not even require an intelligent observation or even be funny, but throw in an f-word and boom...instant applause.

Comedy aside, let's briefly talk about censorship. As you are most certainly aware, there can't be any f-words on regular television. HBO, yes, but regular television? I'm not against self-expression, but I think that censorship is a very good thing. I think it forces the writers to be creative in the way they word things, to make questionable material more subtle or just a little less vulgar. I also appreciate it when I am watching something with my little 6-year-old brother. I don't want him picking up those words from TV.

What are your thoughts on censorship on television? Do you think that the FCC has the right to fine people for accidentally saying a word? What do you think television would be like if you could say the seven words you can't say on television?

Concerning the Saturday Night Live fiasco: It wasn't the first time something like this has happened. The f-word has accidentally gotten through other live news feeds, such as another slip-up on SNL in 1981 by Charles Rocket, and a veteran New York City news anchor while on the air.

I want to know your thoughts about this entire thing. How do you feel about SNL? About censorship in the media?

5 comments:

  1. Kayley-
    I hadn't heard of that one! But that's probably because I haven't watched SNL in years. I do think television should be censored to a point because of all the younger people who watch those shows. I know that censorship in the media has changed drastically, though, and I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. I remember learning in COMM 112 last year that the word pregnant couldn't be said on TV for a while. Now there's shows about pregnant teenagers. I wonder what the future of censorship will be. I also wonder who determines what words and phrases are inappropriate, anyway? I've heard content on some shows that's, in my opinion, worse than dropping the f-bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an article the next day about this story. I think Jenny Slate was put in a difficult position where she was expected to portray a rough character and use a euphemism over and over again. I would have to agree that SNL isn't high quality programming although the "Weekend Update" segment does have some funny stuff every once in a while. I think it's sad how little censorship there is on TV nowadays and if I become a father I'm afraid monitoring my children's viewing habits will seem like a full-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there should definitely be censorship on television, because there really is no need to say certain words on television. I do believe sometimes words that should not be said do slip out of people on television. I agree that comedy does not need the use of swearing to make jokes funny. A good comedian should be able to make people laugh without swearing. I also agree that SNL has gone downhill in the last decade, but that's just ones opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayley -

    Censorship should definitely be included on television. Like you said, children watch some TV shows even though they maybe shouldn't. I wouldn't want to take the risk of having them hear something. The FCC should be giving fines to those who disobey those rules and say the words that aren't allowed on TV. I would hate to see all seven words used on television. I've seen the list and it is terrible. Allowing those seven words would make many television shows disgusting to watch, and I think that some television stations or shows would have less popularity because people would eveutually get tired of hearing everything. People can say it wherever they want, but public television should be kept free of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself am not a fan of SNL. I'm not a fan of comedy in general and it sure does take a lot for a comedian to make me laugh. I feel like some of them are trying to hard. I do however, feel that censorship is a great thing to have on TV. If I want to watch something with the f-bombs in it, then I will find my own time to watch it when I know that there will be mature ears around. But TV is definitely not the place where children should be learning to say their first bad words or even get negative ideas. TV shows already have enough ideas floating around that will fill a child's head with thoughts that shouldn't be in their heads.

    ReplyDelete