Thursday, September 3, 2009

Is One Shot Enough?

I know that our campus here at VCSU is really tackling the issue of the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu. I see posters up everywhere I go and I have started being more Monkish about keeping my hands clean.
Although there is a vaccine for the H1N1 virus, it is not readily available to all, including our campus. However, in recent news, American Health officials are even questioning if a "one shot" H1N1 flu vaccine will be effective, even though both China and a Swiss pharmeceutical company, Novartis, has approved a single dose vaccine (FoxNews.com).

The World Health Organization (WHO) said that "it is encouraged after reviewing the test details from the vaccine by Beijing-based drug maker Sinovac Biotech Ltd". However, the WHO would not comment on Novartis' vaccine since it hasn't seen the data. The WHO commented that "a number of companies were working on one-dose formulations that could theoretically increase the world's swine flu vaccine supplies.

The United States is not taking a position on this issue right now, saying that they are waiting for data to come in from the clinical trials. The U.S. is expecting to announce the inital test results from its vaccine in about two weeks. The vaccine is the same type as one of the Chinese versions, said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

Novartis, the Swiss pharmeceutifcal company, said its results were based on a British trial of 100 people between the ages of 18 and 50 years old. The people in the trial received either one or two shots of its swine flu vaccine. According to this study, people who got two injections had a better immune response, but getting just one injection provided protection as well, within two weeks.

According to FoxNews.com, it is unclear what this could mean for the earth's vaccine supply. The Novartis vaccine was made using cell culture, while about 90 % of the world's flu vaccines are made using chicken eggs. The Novartis vaccine also includes adjuvents, which are commonly used in European flu vaccines. However, it is uncertain how safe flu vaccines with adjuvants are for pregnant women and children, who coincidentally are some of the groups believed to be most vulnerable to the H1N1 virus. The Chinese vaccine did not use an adjuvant, like most of the vaccines being tested in the U.S.

What do you think about the "two-shot" theory? Do you think it will really take two shots to beat the virus, or do you think that one shot will suffice?

3 comments:

  1. Kayley,

    I just got sick a couple of days ago and when I went to the nurse she was concerned I might have swine flu, so this is a subject that I’m trying to take very seriously. I have to say though that I am very happy with the way the campus is handling the situation. At both of my on-campus jobs we are instructed to wipe down and disinfect all phones and computers. Teachers were also asked (or maybe will be asked) to be more understanding with absences. I found your blog very interesting to read. It concerns me that they don’t have all the details ironed out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information you gave in your blog was very interesting to read about, as the one-shot vaccine is not something that I have heard about. As the person that has been coordinating the H1N1 plans for the West Fargo school district, I have been following developments closely, but admittedly on a local level.

    What concerns me the most at this point is not whether the vaccine will come in one or two shots, but when we will actually get them. From the conversation I had with Fargo Cass Public Health this last week, it sounds like large doses of the vaccine will not be made available until mid- to late-October. Seems like a long time to wait as the problem travels closer (case at MSUM last week).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really even thought about getting a H1N1 vaccine. I have never gotten a regular flu shot and still haven't had the flu. I think the last time I had the flu I was 4 years old, and what kid doesn't get the flu? I think since I don't get sick with the flu that I don't need a shot for swine flu either. However, I am see and hearing a lot more emphasis being put on the flu and am second guessing myself about getting the vaccine this year. My job right now is in the restaurant business and I definitely get exposed to a lot of people and their germs. I wash my hands A LOT during my shifts but that sometimes can not always be enough. I think that if a single shot is effective enough to avoid getting the swine flu then that will be enough. It will make for a lot less money and have more shots available to more different people.

    ReplyDelete