Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ring Ring! Who Is It?...Facebook!?


Just when you think that Facebook can't pack any more into the world of social networking, it finds a way. Sometime in the few weeks, Facebook, a popular social networking site that allows users to share comments, pictures, and statuses, is getting voice chat. That's right! You'll be able to have high-quality voice conversations with your friends. You'll even get the chance to incorporate your voice into your applications.

However, Facebook did not come up with this new technology it is offering. That honor goes to Vivox, a Boston-based company that provides the integrated voice services for virtual worlds like EVE Online and Second life, whic have more than 15 million users around the world.

This new voice chat service will be available to everyone who has a Facebook account. However, each user will have to download Vivox’s plug-in, but once it is installed, voice chat is supposed to work “almost seamlessly” (CNN.com) with Facebook. It is for either one-on-one chatting or large group discussions.

One surprising thing about the voice chat is that even non-Facebook users can have a chance to participate, because Vivox is planning to offer free dial-in numbers that allow anyone to call into a conversation, reminiscent of call-in phone conferences. The Vivox company is also making its technology available to third-party Facebook application developers, which means that almost any application (like games and utilities) can record your voice.

As of right now, Facebook is not involved in promoting this new service, and it is not certain how much interest there will be in this new service.

I personally don’t think that I will use this feature much. I am trying to simplify and monitor how much I use the internet, and this new Voice Chat will definitely distract me from other things going on.

There is a lot of discussion to have on this. What do you think? Is this Voice Chat something that you would think about getting for your Facebook account? Do you think it is necessary or that it is “about time” that Facebook began a service like this? Do you think that social networking should stick to simply to the written language? How do you think this will affect Skype, the video-to-video phone call application and its components on the internet?


3 comments:

  1. Kayley -

    Interesting topic! I don't think that I would use the Facebook voice chat that much because I still talk to people on my cell phone and via MSN messenger. I am able to call and see them on the video through messenger, so i don't see a point in having another phone-type of device. The only time I think it would be worth it is if a person was on Facebook for an extended period of time or very frequently. Otherwise, it's hard to catch people on Facebook at the same time. What will they come up with next? The video chat type of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a step forward for facebook. It is not surprising that they didn't promote this at all. It reminds me of the morning I woke up and there was a little chat window in the corner of my screen. I never thought I would use Facebook chat, but, I do. There are some people that don't use messenger, but, 90% or higher of my friends have a facebook page. Facebook is doing this to make its website an even bigger super power in the social media world. However, I am surprised at this low tech upgrade. MSN has that AND video chat. Why didn't they just try to get video chat. Who knows? Maybe they are? Facebook likes surprises. I like how high tech all these websites are growing because I am a young dog and can learn these new tricks. I don't think this will affect Skype, those people would have no reason to switch over because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook upgrading with voice chat makes me wonder when they will actually get video chat. People may not use the feature right away, but with more and more using it, it might skyrocket just like this handy little chat that Facebook is offering right now. It does surprise me that there really isn't any promotion. You think they would promote something like this. I might not use this feature right away, maybe not at all. If it is a way to talk to my friends however, then I just might use it.

    ReplyDelete