Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ellen DeGeneres Joins American Idol

Paula Abdul, one of the original judges from the popular TV show American Idol, officially announced a few months ago that she would not be returning to the show. Although some people thought that a new judge brought in last year, Kara DioGuardi, was replacing Abdul, that doesn't seem to be the case. It has been released that Ellen DeGeneres, popular talk show host, will become a fourth judge on the show, alongside DioGuardi, Simon Cowell, and Randy Jackson. "I'm thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol," DeGeneres said Wednesday. "I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote." (CNN.com)


DeGeneres will not be joining the judges until the new year, however, according to a Fox spokeswoman. Until DeGeneres takes the coveted American Idol judges seat in January, there will be some guest judges, including Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas and Neil Patrick Harris will fill the empty slot, Fox said.

"We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres join the “American Idol” judges' table this season. She is truly one of America's funniest people and a fantastic performer who understands what it's like to stand up in front of audiences and entertain them every day," said Mike Darnell, president of Alternative Entertainment for Fox.

The Emmy Award-winning talk show host faces the task of winning over Abdul’s supporters, many of whom believe that Abdul’s absence will completely alter the show. I think that it will definitely be different since Paula Abdul has left, but I’ve always liked Ellen. She seems very genuine and honest, which are good qualities for an American Idol judge to have.

What do you think? Was DeGeneres the right replacement? Should she just stick to what she’s done in the past, comedy and hosting her talk show?

Last little tidbit: here is Ellen DeGeneres' monologue from the 2007 Academy Awards. I thought it was interesting because she momentarily mentions American Idol in it.

Also, this is a funny clip, also from the Academy Awards, where Ellen meets Clint Eastwood, of whom she is a big fan.

4 comments:

  1. It surprised me that they picked Ellen DeGeneres to be the new host on American Idol. I did not expect her to take Paula’s place. I love Ellen’s talk show, but I’m not too sure how well she will go over on American Idol. Ellen is very honest and not really afraid to say what she is thinking, which will be a good thing for the show. I am excited to watching the show this year to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is surprising. I got into watching American Idol last season during flood break when my mom HAD to watch it. I won't miss Paula telling everyone how amazing they are. I don't know how a talk show person qualifies for being a judge on American Idol, but, after seeing that performance by Paula last year where she was most likely lip-synching the song that was obviously auto tuned, I don't see how she qualified either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never watched an episode of American Idol, but have seen enough of their commercials to fill at least one whole day. From the tidbits I saw, read, or heard about the AI judges, I agree with Kelsi that I cannot see Ellen as one of them. She just doesn’t seem like she fits in the neat mold that was created for AI judges.

    Perhaps that is what the show producers are looking for…someone to shake things up a bit and bring back old viewers and lure in new viewers. After a show has been through several seasons, a new PR campaign has to come together to keep the ratings high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Ellen is hilarious!!! Her talk show that she has is funny and if I am home I love to watch it. I think she is very honest, yet does it in a way that relates to you and she will keep in Paula’s ways by being the 'nice' one out of the group. I actually watched Ellen's talk show when she announced that she would become the next judge for American Idol and she seemed genuinely excited to start doing it. She made a joke about keeping the talk show as her day job and American Idol as her night job and she said in this economy, two jobs seems like the normal. I just think she will give the show some new jazz to it. The show has been on for many seasons now and it can see pretty mundane after awhile. I used to watch Idol religiously when it first started but haven't watched it in a few seasons now. I am definitely making sure I at least catch a few episodes when Ellen starts judging.

    ReplyDelete