Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Surrogates


Some days I just don’t want to get up for class...okay, every day. But school is something I am paying for and will help me in the long run, so I drag myself out of bed and cowboy up. But what if…I sent my robot counterpart to class in my stead? It could take my notes and record what the teacher says. It would look just like any other human.

What if I had a surrogate?

Yes, I am referencing the Bruce Willis movie coming out on Friday. The plot of the movie, aptly called “Surrogates”, is that the world is nothing but people sitting in their chairs living through their robots, or surrogates. Then, for the first time in years, someone is murdered in a world where no one worries about pain or crime, since those things are all happening to the robots, which are quick to heal.

I know this sounds like an intriguing plot for a movie, but how far is this from becoming a reality? Of course it is science-fiction, but could this “robot world” ever become a daily occurrence? According to an article on CNN.com, armies are already using remote-controlled robots to destroy land mines and attack enemies. There is also emerging technology for handicapped people that allows them to operate robotic limbs and control computer cursors without using a keyboard. There is also “telepresence” technology that is letting people see, hear, walk, talk, and gesture using human sized robots that are across the world.

To quote from the CNN article: "There are a lot of real-world components to this," said robotics expert and author Daniel H. Wilson, "Clearly, there are not fully functional humanoid robots ... but there are a lot of components to telepresence that already exist."

The director of the “Surrogates” movie, Jonathan Mostow (Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines), also shared his thoughts on evolving robotics, “To me, it's not even a question of the technology. Technology always catches up. The question is, is some universal human urge being met by this invention? It seems to me we have a fundamental human desire to be lazy, to sort of not have to do things in person and to do it remotely.”

Indeed, robotics at Anybot, a company founded in 2001 by Trevor Blackwell, already has “anybots” in the development phase that can run, jump and climb stairs, and come with fully articulated hands designed to perform increasingly human-like tasks. The robot even resembles a human. (However, they cost $30,000 right now. Anybot is working on lowering the price).

Blackwell said he's not sure the technology will ever advance to the level imagined in "Surrogates"

Concerning the movie “Surrogates”, Anybot founder Blackwell said, "I don't know if we'll ever get quite to that level, of being that realistic.”

Immediately after seeing a trailer for this movie I was thinking about how people are so busy “living” in the different worlds of the internet that they aren’t really living in real life. Maybe we’re already living in a world of “surrogates” and this movie is just embodying that concept in a different way.

Just a deep moment I had there.

What are your thoughts? Do you think surrogates could actually happen in the future? Do you want them to? What would you have a surrogate do for you? :)

7 comments:

  1. Your "deep moment" is my thought exactly when it comes to things like Second Life and online virtual worlds. I know there are a lot of people that decompress by living these alternate realities, but to me it's wasting the beautiful oxygenated blue sky and warm sun of the real world. Why not put all that time and energy into something tangible or improving real relationships and life goals? I know I probably sound pious and judgmental. I guess I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of robots becoming too common scares me; I never want to live in a world like that. Maybe about a month ago, I read an article in The Forum about a hospital using robots, not just for surgery, but to literally walk around hallways delivering medications and such, to "save valuable time for the workers." Our jobs are being replaced by robots! I guess I can see some places where robots are beneficial, like when performing surgeries or flying military planes.

    I think surrogates might happen in the future, but I hope it's quite a ways away because I wouldn't that temptation of being able to use a robot to do things for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally don't think surrogates can happen, but I'm just an old-fashioned guy who always thinks that we have reached the end of technology. I know this isn't true as technology continues to surprise me and robots are already in use as you mentioned here in your blog. I don't want surrogates in the future, because they would take away from the personal side of life. All of life's emotions would not be experienced in the same way and life would feel fake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsi,

    I think this sounds like a really interesting movie plot. I like futuristic things like this in books or movies because it makes you think, “What if this really happened?” I have no doubt that the use of robots will become more popular in the coming years. However I don’t think that they will eventually live our lives for it. I like how you stepped back and thought maybe we already live in the surrogate world in a different way and the movie just makes it more obvious and entertaining. I think that’s a pretty accurate assessment to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayley -

    Totally cool topic! I'm interested to see the movie now! I can't say that I would want robots or surrogates to become a large part of our lives. I think they are extremely useful when it comes to individuals who need certain body parts in order to function normally, but otherwise they don't seem very practical. My concerns would include people losing their jobs to robots, children being babysat by robots, or people becoming just lazy. I feel that people would lose a sense of personality if we were to have robots become what we want them to. Human interaction would be lost, and I don't want that to happen at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is something I have never thought of. I mean as a kid you watch the Jetson’s and wonder when will that day happen in my lifetime. Their maid was a robot and did all the cooking and cleaning for them! Oh man, that day couldn’t come fast enough. I mean I just live with my boyfriend in a 2 bdrm/3bath condo but I feel as if I clean everyday all day. It’s never ending. So to have another “me” to do those things that I dread (cleaning is definitely one of them) I think I would be in favor of it. Then you start thinking though of the movie iRobot. Think of how that ended, with the robots outsmarting the humans and trying to take over the world. Could we really make something too smart? Like you said with all the technology and robots that we have out there already helping us, it is inevitable that robot technology will only advance. Let’s just hope it doesn’t advance too far and we as humans have nothing else to do in this world because our robot does it all for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As great as it sounds to not have to get up and go to work every morning, I am not sure I would want to live my life sitting in my recliner all day. It would be nice for a day or two but I would not be able to handle much more than that. Also, there is too much in life that I would hate to miss out on. With everything that my kids are involved in, I want to be there for as much as possible, not let a robot experience it all. That being said, I think there are some great uses for a technology such as this, especially with the benefits to the disabled, but I also hope they know when to stop and let people truly be people.

    ReplyDelete