Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kate Plus Eight Minus Jon

Every time I looked at a magazine cover this summer, there they were. The tabloids followed their every movement, goaded by an entire nation that was lapping up all the coverage of the real-lives of Jon and Kate Gosselin.

If you don't know who Jon and Kate are, then I'd have to ask if you've been in a serious coma over the past year or so. Jon and Kate Gosselin, as well as their eight children, are (or at least they were) the stars of popular reality show Jon and Kate Plus Eight, a reality show following everyday occurances within the Gosselin family. Here's a quick intro of the family...

In earlier seasons, the husband and wife appeared to be very devoted to each other, despite their occasionally scuffles and arguments. However, in summer 2009, their marriage began unraveling in front of an entire nation. Jon was often seen in the tabloids with a much younger woman, under circumstances that he originally claimed was innocent. As the summer went on, Jon and Kate separated, then divorced. Jon is now with the younger woman, the daughter of the man who performed Kate's infamous tummy tuck.

The show is still running on the TLC channel, under the new name Kate Plus Eight. When asked for her reasons for continuing the show, Kate Gosselin said, "I do the show for my family because I believe it provides us opportunities we wouldn't otherwise have. Jon used to share that belief until as recently as the day the network announced the name change of the show and indicated that Jon would have a lesser role in the show."

Jon recently went on Good Morning America, and began verbally attacking Kate. "I despise her," he said, also adding that Kate "beat me down... like a lame fish" and that their relationship "can't be fixed"(CNN). He also claimed that Kate stole his wedding ring, and that is why he no longer wears it.

I didn't avidly follow every single event going on in the Gosselin household, but it was impossible to miss the major things. Their separation, their divorce, and the fact that Jon is going out with a 20-something year old now.

I was a fan of Jon and Kate Plus Eight when it was first starting out. I loved the simplicity of the show (and the kids of course) and could relate to having a large family. Jon and Kate even reminded me a little of my mom and dad. But now, it seems that it has just sold out to Hollywood. Kate dresses up her kids to match each other all the time and she herself never looks anything less than perfect. In the earlier episodes, she would wear sweatpants and sometimes go without makeup, but not anymore. Do you think that Jon and Kate Plus Eight has ceased to be a reality show in the recent seasons?

Many have questioned the Gosselin parents' decision to keep filming their children for the show while their family is going through such a rough time. Do you think that media exploitation of the family somehow helped spark the divorce of the Gosselins? Do you think it is right to have reality shows like Jon and Kate Plus Eight, especially when there are children involved? What do you think of the concept of the show Kate Plus Eight (No Jon)? And what do you think about the Gosselin parents themselves and about Jon's recent comments on Good Morning America?

5 comments:

  1. Kayley,

    I have heard all about this in the news recently. The most recent thing I heard was that John had stopped the show from going on without him, that he drained their bank account and they were going to court to settle it yesterday before the judge’s wife died from cancer. A little dramatic maybe? I have no doubt in my mind that pieces of this show are scripted. I do not think that their separation was, but people do love drama after all. I do feel really sorry for the children and wonder if John and Kate would have reached this same outcome had they never gone through with the show in the first place. Celebrity status changes people for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love this show. Now I hate it. When I used to watch religiously, I at first was entertained by the couple's squabbles. But after awhile, I started to really dislike the way Kate treated Jon. She was so condescending and bossy it was hard to stomach. I really felt sorry for him. Then they became super rich and all the shows were about what huge house they would buy or what exotic place they would go on vacation (likely for free). It wasn't relatable any more.

    Then, when the whole divorce thing started, I thought, well finally Jon won't be so beat upon. But then he was seen with these young women and seemed to be trying to get the bachelor life he missed out on. I started to really dislike him.

    And now with the public fighting where she says she's doing it all for the kids and he says she's lying about the money and blah blah blah blah. As a public I think we should all pull the plug on the show and just STOP WATCHING IT!

    I know that won't happen, but if this couple really ever was thinking of their family relationship first, they would have quit the show a long time ago. But obviously the money is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have not watched even five minutes of a single episode of Jon and Kate Plus Eight, I too have heard all about their trials and tribulations. And in answer to your question, I think it was a bad idea from the beginning to have those children as the stars of a reality show. In today’s society, it is difficult enough being a child without being one of eight children or being constantly followed around by a video camera.

    I hate to be vindictive, but I think Jon and Kate got what was coming to them. No one can be naïve enough to think that living out your life for the benefit of millions of people will end well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was kind of interesting for a while. Turns out that kate was a psycho lady who nagged and was condescending the whole entire time. I do not agree with Jon cheating but I can see how he got sick of her. I agree with the financial security of going on the show but you can almost be sure that a show like that will mess something up. Having a camera in your face 24/7 can be stressful. I wonder how their relationship would have worked out if they were just the couple with the eight kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayley -

    Good topic! Reality TV is sometimes exactly the opposite. Even though John and Kate Plus 8 was a reality show, I don't think it is anymore. I don't understand how Kate could possibly look so perfect and do so many things for herself when she's trying to take care of 8 children. I understand that she does have help from others, but I don't think that it is right for them to continue the show. It's not the best environment for the children, especially when they're going through the parents' divorce. That's more than harsh for those children.

    ReplyDelete