Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Life Is Average vs. F-My Life: Who Will Win?

Yes, I know that this class is all about technology and well, digital communications. But this week, I feel like being different, hence the blog's title and the Milo and Otis picture, which has nothing to do with what I'm going to be talking about. I am going to compare and contrast two sites where people can post some of their life stories: My Life is Average and F-My Life.


My Life is Average (MLIA) posts short little paragraphs that chronicle a normal day with a weird quirk, an observation, or just something that someone did to make their life a little less "average".

Some of my favorites:

"Today, I saw a guy dressed like Waldo on my college campus. Trying to be funny, I walked up to him and said, "I found you!" He slipped me a dollar and said I didn't see anything. Well played Waldo. MLIA"

"Today, a new guy that I am dating asked me if I wanted some gum. I said sure expecting him to pull out Stride or something. He pulled out Bubble Tape, and ripped off an extra long piece for me. He's 21. I think I found the one. MLIA"

"Today, I found out my grandma has a myspace. And not only is her background a picture of David Beckham without a shirt, she has twice as many friends as me. MLIA."

"Today, my psychology class was talking about everyone's saddest moments they could remember. It was really awkward for the first few minutes because no one was saying anything. Then I said one of the times in my life I was saddest was when Ash Ketchum said goodbye to Butterfree and Pikachu. Everyone agreed. I love college. MLIA."


MLIA lets a registered person vote on each story with "average" or "meh". People can also leave comments for the story.



F-My Life (FML) is not about the little moments that make a person's day. It is about the moments that ruin them. Some examples:

"Today, my son's hamster died. It was overweight and got stuck in its plastic tube. My 6 year old son came downstairs to me smashing a plastic tube with a dead hamster in it on the kitchen table. He thinks I killed it. FML.

"Today, my boyfriend of five years gave me the silent treatment, refusing to talk to me or do anything more than glare at me during the entire three hour drive we took this morning. Why? Because I slept with his best friend. In his dream last night. FML. "


People can vote for each story with either "I agree, your life sucks" or "You totally deserved it". They can also leave a comment about the story.


I don't know if any of you have read either of these sites, but I've decided that I prefer My Life is Average to FML. I can relate to the stories more and the FML stories are pretty downbeat and depress me. MLIA is about finding the humor in a seemingly monotonous lifestyle. Although some of the people on FML seem to have had a really bad days, I just get a negative attitude from it. After all, some of the stories on MLIA could constitute as an FML story, but the person turned it around to be something funny and memorable.

What do you think? FML or MLIA? Do you have a MLIA or FML moment that sticks out in your mind? If so, please share :)

6 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I had never heard of either of those sites, but I really like MLIA. I just read half a dozen or so, and I love this kind of stuff. It sort of reminds me of those funny little Reader's Digest clips, except better. I can't wait to share this site with my friends. You always have great things to share!
    MLIA: My sister was about 3 and she saw a ladybug and asked my mom if Ladybugs bite. "No," my mom said, "Ladybugs don't bite." "Oh," she said, "just man bugs right?" They catch on so early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog made me laugh! All I see on Facebook these days is FML. I've never heard of MLIA or either of those sites, but it would be interesting to just read some of the posts. I like the MILA. It's cool to just read about random things like that. I don't like FML because it's pretty much just people complaining and not doing anything about it. Maybe I'll start using MILA on Facebook and see if anyone catches on (unless there's people on there who use it and I don't pay attention).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally prefer FML, the story about the boyfriend giving his girlfriend silent treatment because of a dream made me laugh so hard that I practically fell off my chair! That is the thing that I like so much about FML. It makes me laugh so hard. I have spent hours on that site reading posts; it is so addicting. These two sites though are a great way to get a little humor out of other people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your headline was very eye-catching and the blog did not disappoint. I had not heard of either one of these sites, although the acronym FML has become very popular. MLIA sounds like an entertaining view into other people's lives. Do people sign up for accounts on these websites or are people completely anonymous? I will probably never post anything on these sites, but if I'm looking for a cheap laugh I might have to check them out. Judging by your description I think I would enjoy MLIA more than FML.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayley -

    I have heard hilarious stories from My Life is Average. My roommates have shared numerous stories from this site. I laugh so much because they could happen to almost anyone, but there is just a twist to each one. I think that My Life is Average is definitely easier to relate to than F-My Life. I get a light-hearted vibe from My Life is Average, and that might be just the little something that people need during their day. I doubt that I would post something, but I do think my life is pretty average.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! I was laughing as I read it all the way down. I had never heard of either of these sites but am most definitely going to take a few minutes and check them out. Great, another addicting website to waste my time with…but at least I will be laughing. I liked them both equally. I definitely could see how one wouldn’t care for FML too much because they could be depressing or you could see that the same crappy stuff that happens to you and ruins your day also happens to other people and you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete